Sunday, January 18, 2015

Making Glade run on Precise Puppy

Being a Crazy Old Programmer, there are times when Crazy Old Programmer Thoughts create little fires in far-flung reaches of my brain.  About a year ago I started collecting night sky images with the thought I would write a C# program to watch for odd things up in the heavens.

Specifically I wanted to look for meteorite trails and bolides.  It was not a success but not a failure.  The proof-of-concept was to make one second exposures and save 24 hours of these images.  Exposure time on day sky images would be adjusted accordingly.  That would yield about 86400 files for each 24 hour period.

Windows choked horribly.  Copying that many files from one directory to another required more than an hour of the computer's time.  Processing the images were slow, likely due to the file system and that C# doesn't compile to the hardware, rather to an intermediate CLI.

Anyway, I started looking and thought I would experiment with minimal Linux distributions.  First one up is Precise Puppy.  Install on my little HP mini was fairly painless and overall the OS is extremely responsive for such minimal hardware.

Next step is getting the DEVX package installed and running. 

I downloaded the DEVX package from iBiblio (distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-precise/) and installed it.  After complaining about a few missing things, install was a success.  gcc, make and other developer goodies seemed to run fine.

Glade, a user interface design tool was not high on my list of things to learn.  My programming for this little project was all planned on being text-only.  But, what the heck.

It complained about not having libgtk3 properly installed.  So, to make a long story very short, here is what I needed to download and install...

1) Find, download and install libgtk-3.6.0-u-20121116.pet from the Puppy Linux wiki.  (If not on that page, it may be elsewhere.)

2) Find, download and install libgtk-3-0_3.4.2-0ubuntu0.7_i386.deb from packages.ubuntu.com/precise/i386/libgtk-3-0/download

3) Find, download and install libgtk-3-bin_3.4.2-0ubuntu0.7_i386.deb from packages.ubuntu.com/precise/i386/libgtk-3-bin/download

4) Find, download and install libgtk-3-common_3.4.2-0ubuntu0.7_all.deb from packages.ubuntu.com/precise/all/libgtk-3-common/download

I am NOT a gtk or Linux expert.  The missing pieces in devx just seemed to point in the direction I took.  I have Glade up and running now.

By the way, here is the major bad error messages this fixed...

(glade:822): GLib-GIO-Error **: Setting schema 'Org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment